Monday, July 6, 2009

Ruby Crest Trail

So I just spent 36hrs on the Ruby Crest National Recreation Trail in the Ruby Mountain range.
The trail is roughly 40 miles long (depending on start location), 40 miles of some rough terrain. The first day I hiked from Harrison Pass to Overland Lake the "halfway" point on the trail. Which put about 20 miles under my belt.

At Overland lake I ran into some friends who had started a day earlier than I. We had great food some tequila and good company. The night was one of broken sleep and bad weather, my main companion was Milo the dog, who was quite restless. I think in total I got around four hours of sleep. Not a big deal, with the lack of sleep taken in stride I grouped with my friends, taking it from myself and the dog to five people and two dogs. The first half of the second day was fairly uneventful, wonderful scenery and arduous uphill slogs. Then 4-5 miles from our second campsite we were hit by a storm. The storm brought us driving rain, dime sized hail, lightning that was directly over us, and a 30 degree drop in temperature. The decision was made to push for Roads end and finish that day. Which would put me at another 20 miles the second day. Exhausted, damp, sore, but in good spirits I finished the trail in almost exactly 36 hours.

Next time I'm doing it in 4-5 days so that I can truly enjoy the beauty of the Rubies.








No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.